Cervical Cancer Screening & Treatment | AMO Oncology Centre

address Room 1311-1312, 13/F, Ocean Center, Harbour City, 5 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
Cervical cancer Treatment
Cervical cancer

Cervical cancer is relatively common among women. It is a type of malignant tumor affecting the cervix. Most cervical cancers result from persistent infection with one of the cancerogenic substances or canceration of high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV). Through diagnostic observation, lesions of cervical cancer would appear in a texture resembling the surface of a strawberry. Mosaic-like rete vasculosum may appear in serious cases. 90% of cervical cancers are squamous cell cancers and the other 10% cases are adenocarcinoma.

Radiotherapy can be external or internal: the former uses high-energy radiant rays to aim at the uterus, cervix, vagina and pelvic lymph, while the latter uses iridium-192 to aim at the uterine cavity at a short distance. However, its side effects include skin itching, hyperpigmentation, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, a brief period of frequent urination, vaginal atrophy, etc.
Mainly used as an adjunctive therapy, it generally adopts intravenous injection, and cannot be applied unless the patient’s blood cells are normal. Its side effects include nausea, vomiting, constipation, mouth ulcers, hair loss, anemia, feeling tired, vein inflammation, etc.
Targeted therapy
Targeted therapy drugs can identify and attack specific cancer cells to reduce harm to normal cells, but targeted therapy drugs must be applied with chemotherapy simultaneously. As a type of targeted therapy, angiogenesis inhibitors can repress formation of new blood vessels and therefore kill cancer cells. With this therapy, life expectancy of patients can extend by an average of 3-4 months. Compared with other therapies, it has fewer side effects and patients will feel more comfortable during the treatment.
  • 台大醫院腫瘤醫學部放射腫瘤科, 子宮頸癌的放射治療, https://www.ntuh.gov.tw/onc/醫療單位/DocLib1/子宮頸癌放射治療.pdf
  • 香港防癌會, 子宮頸癌, https://www.hkacs.org.hk/ufiles/CervicalCancer.pdf
  • 癌症資訊網, 首款標靶藥物針對子宮頸癌,提升患者存活率, http://www.cancerinformation.com.hk/article_details.php?id=1654, 2016年9月9日
  • 癌症關懷諮詢網, 標靶治療 子宮頸癌 治療新方向, http://www.cancernews.com.tw/border/index.php?REQUEST_ID=cGFnZT1yZWFkJlBJRD0zNzQz, 2014年8月5日